Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Norway: The Land of My Maternal Great-Grandfather

January 1, 2013: Tyler accepts a job with FBD in Des Moines
January 5, 2013: We call Tollak Jacobsen, my 88-year-old cousin in Norway, and confirm we can come visit in two weeks.  We book tickets.
January 17, 2013: We board a plane for Stavanger, Norway and are picked up by Tollak and his 81-year-old sister, Taletta.
January 27th, 2013: Return to Omaha
January 30th, 2013: Movers take our stuff from Lincoln to Des Moines

What a start to 2013!  I was so thankful that my job allowed me to take 6 days off during the end of my time there, so Tyler and I could fulfill one of our dreams.  We had been saving SkyMiles since our Zambia trip in 2008 through our Delta credit card, and apparently, it is off-peak to fly to Norway in January (who knew?)  It felt too good to be true to book two free round-trip flights from Omaha-Stavanger.  So good, that we decided to add Greece to this vacation, which I will show some pictures of later.

Norway was our first exposure to Europe, and we loved it!  The weather was similar to January in Nebraska, except the air felt colder, since we were so close to the North Sea.  We were able to meet many of our relatives, distant and otherwise, and we could not have felt more welcome.  Norwegian hospitality and homes involve roaring fires, deliciously black cups of coffee, sweet breads and cakes, and delightful verbal and non-verbal conversation, depending on the English proficiency of the speaker.  

This trip became a dream for me in 1992, when I met Tollak (I was 7, he was 67,) his wife Judith, his son Arne and daughter-in-law Jasna, when they visited our entire Papik clan in Lincoln.  It was mind-blowing for me that I had living relatives in a far-away land.  I don't remember too much of that meeting, but I had a feeling that I liked these people.  20 years later, I got to see the homeland and become reacquainted with this family as an adult.  I could say so much about the time, but overall, it was amazing to see the beauty of this rugged land and hug and speak with generations above me, who illuminated part of my past.

Some pics for help telling the story.


This is Tollak and Judith's home.  Judith was being nursed back to health in an assisted living facility, so is not pictured.  I am holding Taletta's hand....she and I were kindred spirits.  Her husband is Trygve (not pictured) who made his living as an industrial fisherman and did not speak English.  The standing brother is Baard, (pronounced Boor) the middle child (soft spot) who was terribly kind.  Tollak is seated, sporting his Norwegian wool sweater.  All three siblings live within a 20 second walk of each other...basically their father was given this plot of land, and each were able to build on it.  Tollak, as the oldest, lives in the house his father Jacob built.  Tyler and I marveled at the siblings tight-knit relationships, both of geography and affection for each other.



Lysefjord: the closest gorgeous fjord within striking distance of Bryne, Norway.  The water was so clear and the sky was a bright blue the day we drove to it.  Tollak's son-in-law, Harald, was kind enough to drive us to it and teach us more about Norwegian land and culture.



A typical coffee/dessert setting laid out for us by distant relatives.  Tyler and I met a cousin on my great-great Grandma's side...again, not much English, but lots of hugs, holding my face and speaking sweet Norwegian phrases, and crying, "Coma bakke" when we left, which we correctly interpreted as "Come back!"  I do already want to come back, especially for green and warm Norway in the summer.  

1 comment: