Thursday, May 16, 2013

Joy's Job News

Friends:

Hi!  It's been way too long since I've last posted.  There have been trips home to Lincoln, books read, beer tasted, and job interviews had in the meantime.

On the book front: I've been deeply encouraged by N.T. Wright's "Surprised by Hope."  Read it and let the message inform your days and your hope.  I can't say hands down that I'm with Wright on every point, but the basic thesis of  reclaiming the Christian hope of the resurrection of our dead bodies, the coming new heavens and earth and the bearing this has on NOW has given me greater hope for beyond the grave, and a greater sense of partnering with God in the restoration of ALL things.

Other encouraging and thought-provoking works I've read or am reading: For the Life of the World by Schmemann (thanks Monica!) The Church by Clowney, David Copperfield by Dickens, Democratization of American Christianity by Nathan Hatch (highly recommend.)

Now to news:

I have a job that starts on Monday!  I will spare you all the twists and turns of last week's interviews, but let's just say this position is providential and unexpected.  After interviewing for a job here in Des Moines that would only allow me to use only some of my lawyer-ing skills, for only half of the time (and be unpaid as an attorney), I shot out some e-mails to orgs that I respect to see if they had a need and ability to pay me.  Justice for our Neighbors in Omaha had exactly the need that I was looking to fill, and within a day I had a job offer-- and I also am getting paid!

I will be traveling to Omaha/Council Bluffs one day a week, starting out consulting with new clients, and the rest of my hours will be spent working from home on case preparation (meaning, sweat pants and no showers most days of the week!)  I am hired for 30 hours a week, which will allow me to work towards Public Service Loan Forgiveness and hopefully ease me into the working world after 3 months off.  I am very impressed with my new boss- I have not met a non-profit attorney in the Heartland like him and I am excited to learn from him.  I will probably take court cases for the first time, so I'll need to learn how to approach the bench and act like I know what I'm talking about!  I gained quite a bit of experience working 6 months in Lincoln, and I hope to only build on that foundation.

Who knows whether or not I'll continue blogging.  I've enjoyed processing and updating people these past few months.  Maybe you'll continue to see me on the interwebs, but don't hold your breath.

         

No comments:

Post a Comment